Kitchen remodeling could be one of the most important things you could do for your house. It will not only be a remodeling for the kitchen but for the whole house as well. Therefore, remodeling your kitchen with wall and floor cabinets will make your dream house a realistic home. However, remodeling and installing wall cabinets are more challenging when you need help finding studs that suit your cabinets. You must be wondering how to install wall cabinets without studs. No need to worry or panic. We are here to solve your troubles by providing the right solutions to install wall cabinets without studs.
Do Cabinets Need to Be Mounted to Studs?
Installing cabinets can be done in various ways due to the cabinets’ variation. The most common cabinets are wall cabinets and base cabinets. These cabinets are often seen in domestic scenarios.
However, the base cabinets usually only need a little external support as the floor holds them. But on the hand remain, the wall cabinets need an external support system as the mass weight of wall cabinets is given to the walls they are hanging on.
That’s why we call the procedure of installing wall cabinets “hanging” wall cabinets. Thus, we usually use studs made for each cabinet set to provide support outside the wall. However, we need help to provide the alterations of studs.
In that case, there are many alternative solutions from which we could provide an extra layer of support and security to the set of wall cabinets that you have been dying to install in your kitchen.
Can I Mount Something Without Studs?
Installing something without a stud can often be challenging. Therefore we are here to teach you several ways to install anything without a stud. Those ways include,
- Anchors – anchors are the easiest way to manage the screws from slipping out of their holes and ultimately damaging the walls. There are many types of anchors as well. They are toggle anchors and molly bolts.
- Mounting Plates – mounting plates can be placed behind the TV and screwed into the wall using anchors. There are many types of mounts as well. There are metal and cleat mounts as well as ceiling mounts.
How to Install Wall Cabinets without Studs?
There are many ways to install wall cabinets instead of studs. Thus, there is no need to panic or worry if you cannot find the right studs for your cabinets. We are here to help you find the best alternative solution to install wall cabinets. Until we discuss how to install the wall cabinets in detail, we will briefly share the ways to hang the wall cabinets despite using studs. The alternative solutions are,
- Adding a mountain strip Adding French cleats
- Usage of drywall anc
Now we will discuss how to install wall cabinets without studs. If there are no studs, what do we need for this procedure? We’ll see the tool list first.
- Tape measure
- Pencil and a notebook
- Wall anchors
- Hammer and nails
- Drill and Dremel
Now we will move on to the steps one by one and elaborate on the process so that you can comprehend each step without a doubt.
- Take the measurements – you must determine the wall you will install the cabinets on and take the measurements of the wall carefully, not down all the distances. It is essential to know that even though there are no studs in this method, you must have a stud as an anchor point to install a wall cabinet.
- Then, as the professionals advise, attach your new cabinets to the preexisting cabinets, for it will be easy to manage the weight. Therefore install the new cabinet next to the old one as you planned. Then connect the new one with the preexisting one with nails.
While you become successful with this implementation method, we have another way to install your cabinet. The second method requires installing a premounted board piece. Now we will discover the steps to do that.
- First, you will have to find two studs further away from each other.
- Then install a sturdy and stable length material between them(1*4in a thick board)
- Nail in every 8-10 inch distance.
- Use a drill machine or dremel to cut holes in the wall and on the board. Nail the board and install the rest of the wall cabinets exactly as we mentioned.
At the end of these steps, you will proudly stare at your kitchen’s newly installed wall cabinets. All those alternative solutions we mentioned are meant to give your cabinets an extra hand of strength, stability, and security.
Can you Hang Cabinets in Drywall?
Installing cabinets into drywall is tricky as you will need to take necessary precautions for it works accurately and gives you the desired outcome.
If you do not hang the cabinets on the drywall following the necessary steps, the cabinets wil come right off.
This action can damage the drywall, your set of cabinets, and all those valuable ceramics you had stored on them. Thus, it would always help to take precautions when hanging cabinets on dry walls.
Even if you try installing cabinets on dry walls, use a stud finder to find a status that could work for the cabinets.
Can you Hang Cabinets on Plaster Walls?
Hanging cabinets on plaster walls could be better as the walls need to be stronger to hold the weight of cabinets and the things you are about to store in them. Their fore installing cabinets on plaster walls are not recommended.
However, in this case, if you could find the studs adequate to install the cabinets, it would be enough to hold them in place. Therefore, finding the studs is essential for installing cabinets in plaster walls.
If not, do not even try installing cabinets. As plaster walls only will be present in old houses, cabinet initialization on such old plaster walls would not be the smartest idea ever.
How Much Weight Can you Hang on Drywall?
You must be wondering how much weight your dry walls could carry if you install the brand new set of cabinets you have designes.no need to worry.
We are right here to help you find the right answers. It is known that thin drywall will hold up to 1.2 – 1.6 pounds per square foot without any external stability support.
Thicker drywalls will hold 1.5 – 2.1 pounds per square foot without external support or stabilization. Moreover, it would help if you acknowledged that the shear and the tension directly affect the durable weight.
Watch this one,
Video Credits – Your New House
You May Also Like